Downtown Backpackers Responsible Tourism Statement
We believe in protecting the beautiful environment of Wellington, and New Zealand and want to ensure that your children and grandchildren can visit and enjoy it too. To this end we’ve developed an environmental plan and welcome your support in this initiative.
Most of our customers want to help, so we invite you to join with us by enjoying our hospitality and understand our environmental policy.
- all lights that burn continuously have energy efficient bulbs – with some using super low power LED’s
- lights in vestibules and outside signage are on timers
- we have a policy of changing lights in rooms and bathrooms for energy efficient fittings
- we monitor our electricity usage in comparison to previous years
- we have a turn off policy for appliances not in use
- we use Ozone technology in our laundry which reduces energy and chemical use.
- we have water reducing shower nozzles in most of our showers, with a policy of replacing inefficient nozzles
- we try to ensure we have plugs in all basins and to fix drips promptly (please report any dripping taps or missing plugs either to reception, or by filling in the comment card in your room to help us with this)
- we offer our guests recycling options situated in the guest kitchen
- we reuse office paper where practical
- we reduce packaging and freight by buying in bulk
We occupy a building which has a Historic Places classification and which is listed as historically significant by the Wellington City Council. We have a restoration programme and a policy of restoring, as much as possible, to as original as possible. This includes, amongst other things, restoring the original octagonal pillars around the front door and repainting the building in its original colours.
- we participate in the “Gateway” program, as well as the Workchoice Day
- we host a sweet vending machine in our foyer; proceeds go to Ronald McDonald house
- we are supporters of the Wellington City Mission
- we make donations to a number of local causes some of which are the Downs Syndrome Society, the Cancer Society, Kidney Health, Family & Foster Care, Heart Children and have participated in events supporting the Wellington Free Ambulance
These initiatives are not exhaustive and are continually being re-evaluated and evolving. Your support and any feedback are welcome.